About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Emerging Photographer Fund 2011 Winner ~ Irina Werning

Back to the Future by Photographer Irina Werning

"I love old photos. I know I’m a nosy photographer. As soon as I step into someone else’s house, I start sniffing for those old photos. Most of us are fascinated by their retro look but to me it’s imagining how people would feel and look like if they were to reenact them today… A year ago, I decided to actually do this. So, with my camera, I started inviting people to go back to their future" ~ Irina Werning

A personal project turned into an internet phenomenom. News came over the weekend that Werning is this year's recipient of Burn magaine's emerging photographer fund. She took people's favourite old photos and recreated them in the same setting, with the same clothes and with the same person, who in most cases, are at least 20 years older than when the first photo was taken.

The results are usually hilarious and always fascinating. Werning's attention to detail is remarkable. A brilliant concept executed flawlessly.



















2 comments: