About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Thursday, July 3, 2014

High Himalaya by Photographer Eric Valli

French photographer Eric Valli has spent over twenty years documenting the peoples of the Himalayas, including the Dolpo, seen below, who live between Tibet and Nepal in one of the highest inhabitable regions in the world.

 "They work hard, but want for nothing," Valli says of the Dolpo people "They are happy and alive."

 Eschewing digital cameras, Valli continues to shoot film with his Leicas. “I might take an okay picture, but what i’m looking for is an ethnographic testimony of the human adventure; a complete existence in one picture,” he says. “You can never just observe. because my work is all about interaction. …I have lived years and years with these people. I have nothing to teach them and they have everything to teach me.”
Eric Valli
Himalaya Trailer from Eric Valli on Vimeo.
 
“For 20 years I trekked this unforgiving region, always with a Leica in my hand. I remain captivated by the stunning landscapes and the kindness of the people.” ~ Eric Valli
High Himalaya by Eric Valli
Eric Valli
Eric Valli

Eric Valli
Caravans of the Himalaya by Eric Valli

 
Eric Valli


Eric Valli

Eric Valli

“For centuries, atop on of the highest plateaus in the world, in the heart of the Himalaya the Dolpo-pa have traversed the highest pass between Tibet and Nepal in a cycle of trade essential to life in this harsh environment.“ ~ Eric Valli

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievable points in the mother earth. Strange land. only to learn not to teach. Well said.

    ReplyDelete