About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
"To take a photograph is to align the head, the eye and the heart. It's a way of life." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

1890s Spy Camera Street Photography by 19 Year Old Carl Størmer

Carl Størmer (1872-1957) got his C.P. Stirn Concealed Vest Spy Camera in 1893 when he was studying mathematics at the Royal Frederick University (now, University of Oslo) Norway.

 "It was a round flat canister hidden under the vest with the lens sticking out through a buttonhole," he told St. Hallvard Journal in 1942. "Under my clothes I had a string down through a hole in my trouser pocket, and when I pulled the string the camera took a photo."

These wonderfully candid images are a window into a time when most photographs were very formal and rigid. One of the first good examples of street photography.  



“I was a young 19 year-old student at the time and had gotten hold of a funny detective camera.” ~ Carl Størmer 
"It was a round flat canister hidden under the vest with the lens sticking out through a buttonhole. Under my clothes I had a string down through a hole in my trouser pocket, and when I pulled the string the camera took a photo.
I strolled down Carl Johan, found me a victim, greeted, got a gentle smile and pulled. Six images at a time and then I went home to switch plate.” Størmer lived nearby Karl Johan and took a total of 500 images." 
~ Carl Størmer 
 
 






 

 





















Related image

Image result for C.P. Stirn Concealed Vest Spy Camera
Image result for C.P. Stirn Concealed Vest Spy Camera

7 comments:

  1. These are fabulous -- thank you for sharing them. I encouraged my friends who are interested in vintage and historic fashion to check out your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a bunch of historic views I've seen, today. I really love photographs like these, especially from a time when photography was more expensive and difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really amazed to see that in a year like that spy camera existed. At that time there was no photo stabilization, but yet the moving people were captured very well. Mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time i have witnessed a spy camera of a vintage era. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting collection from such old times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good camera work. Its very informative article. Thanks

    ReplyDelete